An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Editor's Choice: Peanut Shop of Williamsburg

For me, one of the most exciting parts of eating is discovering a food I previously disliked – or at least wasn’t over the moon for – can be new and interesting. I experienced this when I opened up the can of Praline Glazed Georgia Pecan from The Peanut Shop of Williamsburg, made using a traditional Southern recipe. I was happy to discover that the nut I’d long associated with a scene from When Harry Met Sally was in fact light, sweet and delicious.

Most of my run-ins with pecans are limited to dessert, and I can imagine the Praline Glazed Georgia Pecans as a delightful addition to vanilla ice cream. However, what I like most about these pecans is that I’m able to enjoy a handful and they’re delicious without anything added. Not too sweet and not dry either. Chopped up, the Praline Pecans can add a sweet topping to a salad served with a light vinaigrette.

The company doesn’t limit itself to flavors from the South. The Peanut Shop gets creative with its Yin & Yang Peanuts, a mix of honey roasted peanuts and wasabi peanuts. And, I’m pretty pumped about the New Pecan Trio. With Roasted & Salted, Praline Coated and Sugar & Spice in one 18-oz. tin, it’s a three-way combo of sweet and salty delights.

To see more of The Peanut Shop of Williamsburg’s nutty products, candy and sauces, check out www.thepeanutshop.com.

- Mary

I'd like to welcome Mary to the staff of Fancy Food & Culinary Products! Mary Gerlach, editor of Fancy's sister publication Baby & Kids will now also be contributing to Fancy Food & Culinary Products. Nice job on your first Editor's Choice, Mary!
-Stephanie