An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Editor's Choice: Katie's Home Style, Old-Fashioned, Pool-Room Mustard Slaw


There are a few Chicago delicacies that I readily enjoy, as well as a number of which I pass on. For instance, you’ll never catch me indulging on deep-dish pizza. Mostly because I believe it tastes like a pizza casserole. It’s too dense for me. And, when I initially moved here, I thought I would feel the same about Chicago-style hotdogs. With so much going on, how could it be good? But, the Chicago dog (complete with a beef frank smothered in yellow mustard, onions, pickled relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato wedges and a dash of celery salt on a poppy seed bun) stole my heart. In fact, I’ve sworn that I will never eat hotdogs any other way. That is, until I sampled Katie’s Home Style, Old-Fashioned, Pool-Room Mustard Slaw by the Shoals Commercial Culinary Center. The condiment made my barbecues easier because it adds so much to hotdogs and hamburgers.

Made in Florence, Alabama, Katie’s Slaw is a delightful mixture of cabbage, mustard, carrots, onions, sugar, vinegar, bell peppers, various spices and salt. It has an unexpected spicy kick that’s not for the faint of heart. While I solely tried it on my hotdog, I can see the slaw as an excellent accompaniment on hamburgers, cold cut sandwiches or alongside barbecue chicken. Moreover, it’s low in cholesterol and calories. Many Weight Watchers clients claim it’s the perfect way to liven up proteins without over-indulging. It’s available in over 70 stores and delicatessens in eight states. I advise you make your store, restaurant or deli the next to offer it. Your customers will thank you! And you better believe, I’m thankful to have the condiment for future outdoor gathers to come. This way, I don’t have to stock up on yellow mustard, onions, picked relish, dill pickle spears, tomato wedges or celery salt!

~Cathryn