An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Editor's Choice: Sorrell Ridge


Even though I grew up in the Midwest, I have never liked winter (OK in this case pre-winter).  It seems no matter how sunny the day starts out by mid-day the skies have turned gray and cloudy.  It was in that frame of mind that I recently picked up a jar of Sorrell Ridge Premium Orange Marmalade (alliedoldenglish.com). I figured if I couldn’t have the warm weather right now, at least I could have a taste of it. Besides marmalade has that little luxury feel to it.

Sunday morning seemed like the perfect time to try it. I spooned it on some low-fat pancakes. The marmalade blended well with them. It is thicker and that gives it a nice full flavor and orange peels give it an interesting texture. The peels also made it not too sweet.  It was a flavorful combination and a good way to start the day.

I’m sure it would be great on waffles, English muffins or used in making a different  take on a  PB&J. I could also see it used with white cheeses for a tasty appetizer.

For retailers, it would be good in a fruit spread assortment or in a breakfast basket. Its consistency makes it ideal for sampling on crackers.

But for me, right now, it’s a taste of the good life.

Barbara