An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Editor's Choice: Perky Jerky

If you've read any of my previous blog posts, you may have come to realize that I am pretty slow on the uptake for many seemingly basic food-related things. I don't really cook that well. I don't have a barbecue grill. I don't usually have any salad dressing but ranch. I mean, I didn't even know what a pomegranate was.

I'm not really proud of my profound ignorance of most food-related things, but while we're at it, I may as well tell you about another one: Until recently, I was totally oblivious to the concept of protein.

I am, and always have been, a very active person. I play all kinds of sports, run all over the place and generally always try to stay moving. However, due to the fact that my diet consists mostly of garbage, I never really paid attention to the health benefits of eating well. 

Of course, time is a cruel and hilarious thing, and eventually I realized the need to start taking care of myself by watching what I eat, otherwise I will need an entirely new wardrobe consisting of much larger sizes. In the interest of wrapping up this super long intro, the moral of the story is - I learned about protein, and its benefits in an active lifestyle like mine.

Enter Perky Jerky. We have gone on a jerky-eating rampage in the office over the last year or so, and one of the ones that really stood out was this energizing, all-natural product. Perky Jerky is made with a seven ingredient marinade, which includes Guaranaa berry from the Amazon that is commonly found in energy drinks. That makes it great for a quick pre-game boost, busy moms on-the-go, or a mid-mountain hike snack. It's a functional morning desk snack and the perfect munchie to survive a long road trip. Satisfying and portable, it's perfect fuel to do, well, whatever it is that you do.

Perky Jerky comes in turkey and beef varieties, with delicious flavors such as Sweet & Spicy, Teriyaki, Hot & Bothered, and their original recipe. They are low calorie, low in fat, gluten-free, and high in protein. There's no nitrates, preservatives or MSG. 

So if you're looking for a new, trendy, healthy snack alternative, I would recommend you check this out. It's an energy drink in tasty jerky form, perfect for people like me, who can always use a boost of energy before zooming off to wherever it is we're going.