An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Editor’s Choice: Way North Foods

One of my favorite treats to eat with coffee or tea is biscotti. They’re the perfect size snack, and something about dunking the slender cookie into my warm drink is comforting. I was thrilled when we received samples of Way North Foods’ (www.waynorthfoods.com) array of artisanal handcrafted biscotti, which come in six core flavors: Dried Cherry White Chocolate, Double Dark Chocolate, Orange Dried Cranberry, Maple Walnut, Luscious Lemon and Lemon Dried Blueberry White Chocolate.

I was immediately inclined to try the Lemon Dried Blueberry White Chocolate; the tart, bright notes make it one of my favorite flavor combinations. So one lazy Thursday evening, while watching a hilarious episode of The Office, I made myself a cup of Earl Grey, which turned out to be a great pairing with this biscotti flavor. I really appreciated the subtle white-chocolate glaze over a portion of the biscotti, which added a unique element to its flavor. Needless to say, my nighttime snack put me in a great mood and was the perfect end to a long day.

This Michigan-based company, founded by Chef Perry Harmon, uses locally sourced ingredients in its recipes; I encourage you to check out the company’s full line, which includes baking mixes, granola and beer brittle (made with local microbrews).

-Ashley