An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Editor's Choice: Suan's Scotch Bonnet Pepper Jelly


One of the most popular culinary trends is the combination of sweet and savory flavors. And, why not? After all, who doesn’t love Peanut M&Ms (or even the most recent addition, Pretzel M&Ms)? For years I have been adding candy to movie popcorn. Italian Antipasti trays commonly wrap melon with prosciutto and Starbucks created a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. I firmly believe this classic duo is here to stay and it ranks among my favorites for taste testing. Therefore, I was thrilled when Suan’s Scotch Bonnet Pepper Jelly was shipped to our office last week. In fact, I nearly catapulted from my swivel chair to be the first to claim this bounty.

Made in Oklahoma, the jelly is the perfect seasoning to glaze meats or smeared over a block of cream cheese as an enticing appetizer. As I had only the components of my refrigerator to work with, and I’m sorry to say the contents didn’t include any lamb chops or a ham, I chose a wedge of Brie and Ritz Crackers to be the pepper jam’s accompaniment. What struck me as I indulged in the mini sandwich was how mild the Scotch Bonnet Pepper heat was. This Jamaican habanera is one of the hottest peppers out there. As I spent the majority of my collegiate spring breaks in Jamaica (and as the residents use it to flavor nearly everything), I was shocked that it didn’t burn my tongue. Wisely, Creator Suan Grant tamed the heat without losing the bonnet pepper flavor — a trick she learned after four years spent cooking in Jamaica.

I am not alone in my adoration for this too-good-to-be-true preserve. Suan’s Scotch Bonnet Pepper Jelly recently received a gourmet gold award in the jelly, jams and preserves category at the Dallas Total Home & Gift Market held last month. On their website (www.suansfoods.com), Grant lists a variety of additional recipes suitable for the jelly. I’ll be certain to consult it the next time I go grocery shopping!

~Cathryn