An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Editor's Choice: Callie's Charleston Biscuits


Living in Chicago, there are things I consistently miss from my southern heritage. Certainly, a level of hospitality tops the list. However, more noticeably, I miss the food. There are some southern delicacies that even the best Yankee chef shouldn’t attempt. On every journey home, I find myself begging my parents to prepare grits, biscuits and gravy, and cornbread. But, one of my favorite childhood sandwiches that I miss in Chicago is the Pimento Cheese sandwich. That is, until I discovered Callie’s Charleston Biscuits’ pimento cheese spread. This tastes like my childhood summers.

Callie’s is kind enough to offer a regular and a Fiery Pimento Cheese. Both spreads use freshly shredded cheddar cheese hand-mixed with pimentos and a signature blend of savory spices. However, if you’re looking for a little kick, the Fiery spread is sure to put hair on your chest. While I’m a fan of incorporating the spreads onto a sandwich with mayo and ripe tomatoes — Pimento Cheese spread can accompany a variety of other dishes. Use it as a condiment on hamburgers or merely create a summer antipasta platter with Pimento Cheese at the center. Be sure to allow consumers to sample Callie’s spread in your store. They’ll quickly notice that this isn’t the run-of-the-mill grocery store variety. It’s flavorful without being too rich.

To order either of Callie’s pimento spread, you first have to order the signature biscuits. But, this shouldn’t be a problem as they both sell seamlessly together. It’s the perfect taste of the south for southerners far from home.

~Cathryn