An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Editor's Choice: American Spoon Whole Seed Mustard

Pretzels, and turkey sandwiches, and a whole leg of lamb and on brats. There are so many things in the world that I love to put mustard on. I feel it is the most versatile of the standard condiments. And of course, being a Chicago girl, I put only mustard, not ketchup and mustard on my Chicago-style hot dogs. I love a little dab on  cheese plate to go with a nice cheddar or gouda. I like to eat it with my eggs in the morning, on occasion.

When American Spoon's chock-full-a mustard seed mustard came to the office, my interest was piqued. I usually go for a more blended mustard, frankly, and this seedy jar was intriguing.

Not your average yellow, this sophisticated mustard features whole yellow and black mustard seeds soaked in vinegar and Michigan sparkling wine. The seeds become plump, tender and toothsome as they’re infused with the wine’s complexity and then burst with every taste, releasing their flavor in a perfect balance of sweet and heat.

American Spoon has a variety of savory relishes and spreads, and I am dying to try some of the others like Portobello Mushroom Relish and Apple & Onion Jam.

-Elizabeth