An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Editor’s Choice: Char Crust




Char Crust dry-rub seasonings do exactly what they claim: seal in the juices. And this makes for a very lovely flavor dimension that perks up an ordinary meal. In fact, I think I’m kind of addicted! I sampled the Amazin’ Cajun on some burgers and it was so easy to use. I simply dredged the hamburger patties completely and, as recommended, drizzled a little oil to prevent sticking. I then broiled them and my family and I loved and enjoyed some wonderfully kicky burgers that were both spicy and sweet. This particular blend contains cayenne pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and what is referred to as “a mélange of other Mardi Gras flavors.” Yes, definitely! But I didn’t stop there, because this is a versatile rub. I also added it to some zucchini, onions and peppers to coat along with oil. I then baked as a side dish. This was a perfect accompaniment to our wonderful dinner that made us yearn for summer days here in the snow-covered streets of Chicago.

Char Crust makes nine other flavors of rubs that create a savory crust to seal in the juices of meats, seafood and vegetables. They include: Original Hickory Grilled, Roasted Garlic Peppercorn, Ginger Teriyaki, Hickory & Molasses, All American Barbecue, Southwest Chipotle, Sun-Dried Tomato & Garlic, Roto Roast and Java Buzz.

I look forward to trying some of these on the outdoor grill as the weather warms up!

Paula