An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Editor's Choice: Rao's

Growing up in an Italian family, I remember going to wedding banquets and having special foods. One of these party foods was a tray they passed around family style filled with sliced meats and cheeses, antipasto, with this great-tasting dressing. It was a treat and not the kind of thing you normally got at home. I mention this because it turns out that now maybe you can.

That’s the taste I experienced when I tried Rao’s Homemade Italian Herb Dressing on my humble salad of lettuce and tomato. It was a great, fresh taste, with just the right amount of herbs and spices. It was a real, “I remember this moment.” In fact, it has a recipe for an antipasto on the bottle. An added bonus the dressing has some sugar in it and is not as bitter as some others I’ve tried. Besides green salads, I’ve also drizzled it over green beans and tossed it with leftover cooked pasta and tomatoes for a summer salad. I can see it dressing other vegetables as well. And I’m seriously thinking of buying some cold meats and provolone in the deli and tomatoes from the Farmers Market in the near future and giving a simple antipasto dish a try. (www.raos.com)

-Barbara