An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Editor’s Choice: Alter Eco

Rich is the first thing that came to mind when I took a bite of the Dark Chocolate Quinoa Midnight Crunch chocolate bar from Alter Eco. Crispy is the second thing I thought of as I ate the chocolate. With dark chocolate for richness and quinoa for crisp, I happily snacked on the large chocolate bar (3.5 oz.) for a little holiday treat while working between Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

While I might have felt a little guilty for eating such a large piece of chocolate over the course of three days (after enjoying cookies, cheesecake and candy canes over my holiday break), I felt a little better knowing that Alter Eco is Fair-Trade Certified and USDA Organic. I know, I know. That doesn’t mean it’s healthy, but I’ll use any excuse to avoid overeater’s guilt during the holidays. All of Alter Eco’s products are vegetarian and gluten- and GMO-free.

The recent introduction of Midnight Crunch is perfect for Valentine’s Day, the company says, but I think the chocolate makes a thoughtful surprise (for yourself or someone you love) any time of the year. The ingredients, from Fair Trade cooperatives in Bolivia, are then baked for 72 hours using traditional methods in Switzerland.

Other chocolate delights include Dark Chocolate Velvet (with a hint of organic milk), Dark Chocolate Mint, Dark Chocolate Twist (the twist is crystallized orange peel), Milk Chocolate Moka, Dark Chocolate Almond, Milk Chocolate with Hazelnut and Milk Chocolate Cajou. While some Alter Eco sweets contain milk, Midnight Crunch is made with cocoa mass, cane sugar, rice-quinoa crisps making it vegan.

To learn more about Alter Eco’s line of chocolate and its rice, olive oil, quinoa, sugar and coffee, visit www.altereco-usa.com.

-Mary