An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Editor's Choice: Mario Batali Tomato Basil Sauce

Even though I grew up in an Italian household, I never enjoyed the taste of tomato sauce until I was in high school. I’m not sure why, but I did have several cousins with the same “affliction.” Once my tastes changed, I became a total fan. In fact, it’s my feeling that tomato sauce can make just about anything taste better. So it wasn’t much of a sell for me to try Mario Batali Tomato Basil sauce (www.summergardenfood.com).

While the pasta was finishing up, I opened the jar and the first thing I noticed was the great scent of tomatoes. As you pour the sauce out, I noticed that it is not solid like most sauce; the tomatoes were sort of suspended in the olive oil. It is because the bottle says there is no paste or puree added. I wondered how that would affect the taste. The sauce is made with Italian San Marzano plum tomatoes. The other ingredients are fresh basil, carrots and garlic. But enough of the recipe, how was it? Let’s just say Mario has done his family proud. The sauce is fresh tasting and flavorful. The tomatoes blend wonderfully with the olive oil. And the carrots add a nice touch. The sauce can make even a humble plate of pasta a gourmet treat and perfect for a cold Chicago night.

And if that’s not enough, it is produced in a green facility so you can really feel good about buying it. It comes in a 24 oz. jar.

-Barbara