An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Editor's Choice: Bob's Red Mill


Everyone who knows I have a vegan diet asks, without fail, “is it hard?” And I always have the same response: No. Having not eaten diary, eggs or meat for so long, I take for granted how simple it is to create nutritional and delicious vegan meals. Sometimes, it’s easy because I’ve already figured out what works, but sometimes cooking vegan is easy because I find a great product. Bob’s Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten is one of those easy-to-be-vegan products.

After more than a year of buying pre-made seitan at Whole Foods, I picked up a bag of Bob’s Vital Wheat Gluten to make seitan from scratch, and I promptly let it sit in my pantry for months. Talk about shelf-stable, when I was finally prepared to make my own seitan, Bob’s was patiently waiting for me. Making seitan isn’t difficult, but it’s intimidating and time consuming, so finding the best ingredient is a must.

The Vital Wheat Gluten package has a seitan recipe and tips for incorporating the protein-rich wheat byproduct in baked goods. Bob’s suggests adding a few tablespoons to homemade bread for a elastic texture, and the package offers a recipe for Honey Oatmeal Bread too. Vital Wheat Gluten is so beneficial, health-conscious omnivores will love it too. For gluten-free diets, Bob’s offers myriad gluten-free products and continuously receives praise for its celiac-disease-friendly products.

I don’t just use Bob’s Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten either. I just made homemade corn dogs with the company’s cornmeal, sprinkle the flaxseed on my salads, add bulgur to vegetarian chili and use its flour in just about everything I bake. Delicious, pure, organic ingredients are so important for a delicious meal, and I know I can rely on Bob’s Red Mill to help me make yummy treats.

Read more about Bob’s Red Mill in the baking ingredients article in the August issue of Fancy Food & Culinary Products, or take a tour of the factory with Bob himself in the video below.

- Mary