An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Editor's Choice: Byron Bay Cookies

It may only be the end of July, but I think I may have found the ideal autumn cookie. I received samples of Australia-based Byron Bay Cookies’ (www.cookie.com.au) Sticky Date & Ginger Cookies, and they could not be a more perfect fall gourmet gift.

The cookies contain dates, which, in my opinion, are an underused ingredient in the U.S. I find dates to be earthy and naturally sweet all at once, which is really pleasing to my palate. If you have customers who are unfamiliar with the flavor profile of dates, these cookies are a great introduction.

The cookies also contain chopped walnuts and ginger pieces, both of which complement the dates well. These flavors meld together into an unexpected, subtly spiced treat that I could see being served with tea or warm apple cider in the fall.

I also was surprised at how soft the cookie was, despite its relatively dense ingredients. To my surprise, it was moist and flavorful rather than dry and tasteless as some comparable cookies are. Overall, Sticky Date & Ginger Cookies are cookies with substance; just one is fulfilling and goes a long way in satisfying a sweet tooth. Try these cookies in your store this fall; they’d be great in gift baskets and would also be a fun item to sample.

-Ashley