An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Editor's Choice: Java Frost

I don't make a habit of sipping pipping hot beverages at my desk in the middle of July, but today I'm making an exception. Today just happens to be the first day this entire month that Chicagoans have escaped the unrelenting sun, and the humidity has dropped to a nearly tolerable level. So as I scanned our shelf for the newest gourmet product to review, a tin of Java Frost Candy Cane Creme Gourmet Drink Mix caught my eye. I know what you're thinking: What sane person drinks hot chocolate in the summertime? As it turns out, I do. And I'm glad I did.

Java Frost is known for its line of gourmet drink mixes, and the Candy Cane Creme is just one in its line of holiday offerings (along with Pumpkin Cheesecake and Red Hot Reindeer). Although similar to a hot chocolate, the Candy Cane Creme is more like a creamy mint tea. The little flecks of peppermint take the beverage over the top; I felt like I was drinking a liquid candy cane. While I simply stirred a few tablespoons of the mix into a mug of hot water, customers can also incorporate ice and a blender to make a drink similar to a Frappuccino or pour the drink straight over a glass of ice.

While the Candy Cane Creme certainly won't be my drink of choice once the sweltering heat kicks back in, an afternoon mug every once in a while is a sure way to bring a little Christmas spirit in July.

—Melody