An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Editor's Choice: Guittard Gourmet Baking Bars

I can't imagine a situation in where I turn down the opportunity to try some chocolate. Even if I was told that if I were to eat one more bite of chocolate, someone would kick me in the shins and steal my wallet, I would still probably take the chocolate. I can always get another wallet, and I can be distracted from the physical pain to my shins by candy. Gimmie the chocolate!!

As if chocolate in bar form wasn't irresistible enough, Guittard Chocolate Company had the genius idea to put THREE of their 2 oz. gourmet baking bars in an attractive box package. These all-natural, Fair Trade certified products are a great way to infuse your desserts with elegance, style, and taste. And I will also vouch for the idea of simply eating it by itself.

The three varieties sampled were Semisweet, Bittersweet, and Unsweetened, with each being made with 64, 70, and 100 percent cacao respectively. When you see a number such as 64 percent cacao on these bars, this means that 64 percent of what is in that bar comes from the cocoa bean as chocolate liquor and added cocoa butter. The remaining 36 percent is mainly sugar. The higher the percentage on the package, the more chocolate there is in the product. Which means the Unsweetened version is an all-out cacao explosion. I made some hot chocolate with it, and it was tremendous. I can also imagine that using this in brownies would be an awesome idea.

The quality of Guittard chocolate is undeniable. The flavor is so incredibly rich, that you know you are enjoying a truly gourmet item. Guittard Chocolate is made with shade-grown cacao, the overall quality of which is superior because the delicate pods are protected from excessive direct sunlight during development. Guittard's emphasis on shade-grown cacao also means the jungle environment surrounding the cacao is preserved. Guittard has over 135 years of custom chocolate making and conching experience, and some conching formulas have been handed down over four generations.

If you're looking for top-notch baking chocolate to use in a recipe, or just want some rich, delicious chocolate to snack on, you can't go wrong with Guittard. The packaging is attractive, and these new boxes would certainly stand out in your store. For more information, check out