An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Editor's Choice: Beaverton Foods

Mustard and I go way back. Growing up in Chicago, I’ve learned to love the condiment -- it’s one of the sacred toppings on a Chicago-style hot dog, never to be replaced by that suspicious substance known as ketchup. And with my Bohemian, Polish, German and English heritage, you can bet I’ve been taught to dollop mustard on everything from sausages to pretzels.

As I am such a regular mustard consumer, I was thrilled to come across Inglehoffer Extra Hot Horseradish Mustard (which is now referred to as “the good mustard” in my household). Not only does this grainy mustard have an earthy, full-bodied, vinegary tanginess, but it also has a nose-burning bite that is slightly addictive if you like adding a kick to your foods.

I first used Inglehoffer Extra Hot Horseradish Mustard on corned beef, which my mom made with colcannon (a mashed potato dish made with cabbage) and fresh rye bread. I had high expectations—after all, this mustard took the gold in the Horseradish/Wasabi category at the 2008 Napa Valley Mustard Festival. After one taste, I was hooked. I even spread a little bit on my rye bread. (Note: use only a small amount. My dad was overconfident and spread a large spoonful on his corned beef. Subsequently, much beer was consumed to try to erase the intensity of the spicy horseradish spread.)

Since the corned beef meal, I’ve been regularly using the Inglehoffer mustard on my sandwiches; it pairs well with salami, roast beef and even turkey. But what I’m really looking forward to is summer, which I can try it on a bratwurst hot off the grill.

Inglehoffer Extra Hot Horseradish Mustard is made by Beaverton Foods (www.beavertonfods.com), an Oregon company that has been making condiments since 1929.

-Ashley