An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Editor's Choice: Chef Hymie Grande

I'd be the first to admit, I am very much a coward when it comes to trying anything that lists chiles as a main ingredient. So when I read the "mildly spiced" on the bottle of Chef Hymie Grande New Mexico Sweet Barbecue Glaze (www.chefhymiegrande.com) I was more than skeptical. But it was part of an impromptu food tasting and appeared the mildest of the three offered, so I decided to be a big girl and give it a try.

I was pleasantly surprised. The glaze has a just a little bit of a kick. It's sweet, but not overly, with a hint of a smokey taste. As a bonus, the bottle says it contains all natural ingredients.

The glaze would be good for barbecued ribs and chicken, natch, and also on other meats. I could also see it blended into ground beef for hamburgers and meatloaf. It could be used in other chicken dishes or with fish, such as salmon.

So there you have it, a good reward for some of us willing to take a chance and a good taste for all. Incidentally, retailers could set up some sampling of the glazes in their stores. Bet Chef Hymie will pick up some new fans.

-Barbara