An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Editor’s Choice: American Licorice Company

Most of our samples are sent to Ashley Trent, and I normally play it cool when she says “Anyone want …?” I usually keep my 3 p.m. cravings in check and give myself about a minute to make the three-second journey from my desk to hers. But, my sweet tooth got the best of me when Ashley announced, “I got some licorice. Anyone interested?”

The aforementioned three-second sojourn to Ashley’s desk was cut in half as I launched out of my chair and pushed Editorial Coordinator Barb out of the way (a joke, I promise) to get my hands on the sweet stuff. I ripped open the bag and ate two pieces of American Licorice Company’s Natural Vines black licorice followed by a handful the company’s strawberry confections. The company says it created Natural Vines for the sophisticated licorice customer, which really puts me to shame for the way I inhaled the sweets. (I like to think of my indulgence as just enthusiastic research.)

I’ve always preferred strawberry licorice to black licorice, and the same can be said for Natural Vines. The black was a little on the dry side, but the strawberry had a light, sweet flavor that didn’t leave me feeling as if I’d coated my teeth in sugar. It uses natural ingredients without artificial flavors, high-fructose corn syrup or preservatives, too. And, once I got my self-control back, I resealed the bag, a new design from the company, and the licorice has stayed fresh and delish for two weeks. I can’t believe I have the restraint to make them last that long.

You probably know American Licorice Company for its Red Vines products, so check out www.candycabinet.com for more details about its sweet surprises like Natural Vines.

-Mary