An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Editor's Choice: Dave's Gourmet


Growing up in an Italian household, pasta and sauce was always part of our Sunday meal. This week’s choice, Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce (www.davesgourmet.com), however, takes the concept in a new direction, and I was looking forward to trying it. It turns out I wasn’t the only one intrigued by the concept, and since the sauce is in a family-friendly size jar (25.5 oz.), I decided to take the tasting on the road — actually down the block. I also had a bag of some good-size, tubular, ridged pasta that I figured would be perfect for capturing the sauce.

In the interest of good reporting, I let one of my dinner companions take the first taste of the al dente-cooked pasta and sauce. An audible “ooh” followed by a "this is really good” was the reaction. Taking my first bite, I agreed, as I was greeted by the creamy texture and sweet taste of the butternut squash as it blended with garlic (of course) and the taste of roasted red pepper. It was delicious and made the pasta choice, which captured the sauce so well, such a good idea. In fact, our other companion used some bread to soak up the last bit of sauce before going back for seconds.

I could also see the sauce on cheese ravioli and tortellini. The company also suggests using it for lasagna. All sound like delightful meals to try really soon.

-Barbara