An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Editor's Choice: Briannas


I eat salads all year round, but, for me, they are especially enjoyable in the summer because I can get real tomatoes — yet another reason I love the weekly trips to the local farmers’ market.

Recently, I was looking for something different to try on these salads. As I glanced through the dressings selections, The New American dressing from Briannas (www.briannassaladdressing.com) caught my eye. It’s a catchy name. The dressing was labeled as creamy balsamic vinaigrette. Balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite dressing components, so I was interested. I’ve become more of a label reader, so I checked some of the other ingredients: honey, garlic, spices and grape juice. It sounded like a winning combination, so it came home.

The dressing has a good consistency, so it clings to the lettuce, tomatoes, snap peas and other good stuff that make up summer salads. It has a smooth, layered taste. It offers a hint of sweetness at first, but it is cut with the garlic and other spices. Another plus: It has all natural ingredients.

Besides using on green salads, I could also see it mixed into a pasta salad.

The bottle suggests using the dressing as a marinade for beef, chicken or even fish.

And for me, the dressing is also great drizzled on steamed green beans from the farmers’ market.

-Barbara