An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Editor's Choice: Artisan Salt Company


Salt gets a bad rap. I know we should be limiting our sodium intake, but sometimes, a dash of salt can really set your dish over the edge, which is why I was excited to take home a little gourmet salt from Artisan Salt Company and start experimenting.

I took home a four-ounce flip top canister of the Murray River Flake Salt, and I've been going through it quicker than than anything else in my spice cabinet. I've since found several uses for it: sprinkled on top homemade pizza dough, rubbed onto meat, even just a tiny dash on top of the whipped cream in my hot chocolate. (I'm a huge fan of the sweet/savory combo.) I've even used it in lieu of regular table salt. Just shake a dash over a warm dish and watch it melt and season your food perfectly. Although be warned: Don't use as much of the Murray River Flake Salt as you would regular salt.

If you're looking to add a little more savory in your life (or store), experimenting with gourmet salts is a perfect way to add a little seasoning!

—Melody