An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Editor's Choice: Granna's Gourmet

A few summers ago I got into pickling, and since then I've been whipping up batches of pickled beets, green beans, cucumbers, and other farmers market veggies to snack on or incorporate into meals. I’ve always loved pickled vegetables and relishes, but have even more of an appreciation for them now that I know how much work goes into creating great ones.

Granna’s Gourmet, based in South Carolina, offers Lowcountry pickles perfect for adding to Southern-style dishes, using on sandwiches, or eating straight from the jar. I recently brought home a jar of Bread and Butter pickles, and they’ve been a big hit in my house. Jarred with mustard seeds and onion slices, the crunchy rounds are a nice balance of sweet and sour. They’re delicious layered in tuna sandwiches or as a side to burgers.

Granna’s also offers sweet onion petals, bread and butter pickle relish and sweet onion relish, all of which I imagine would add some Lowcountry brightness to everyday sandwiches or salads. Bread and Butter pickles retail for $7 for a 16 oz. jar.

-- Amy