An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Editor's Choice: Bove's Pasta Sauce


No matter what I do, I can never recreate my Nonnie’s marinara sauce. I have her recipe. I use the finest ingredients. I watched her make it. Regardless, my sauce doesn’t taste quite the same and I am left with a poor imitation. Therefore, I was thrilled when I discovered Bove’s Roasted Tomato, all-natural pasta sauce. While this canned sauce isn’t my Nonnie’s, it’s closer than I’ve ever come.

Last month, Bove’s Café (a third generation restaurant) celebrated it’s 70th anniversary. And, with a sauce this delicious, this longevity is no big surprise. Louis and Victoria Bove have been bottling the family sauce for the past 15 years. “We began selling my grandmother’s signature Marinara sauce, the same recipe she made at the restaurant,” says Mark Bove, company president. “But that wasn’t enough. People wanted more.”

And with Bove’s line of signature sauces, including: Vodka, Roasted Garlic, Mushroom & Wine, Basil and its newest flavor, Roasted Tomato — customers got their request. I have always loved the flavor of roasted tomatoes. So, when this jar came into the office I jumped at the chance to sample it first. The recipe combines fire roasted plum tomatoes, onions, fresh garlic and spices, olive oil and crushed red pepper. The sauce is spicy without being completely overwhelmed with heat. Moreover, you can tell the flavors are cleverly layered. Initially, I tasted the smokiness of the tomatoes. But, the more I ate, the more I detected other components with the recipe. My Nonnie taught me that the best Italian food focuses on simplicity, fine ingredients and respect for these ingredients. It’s clear Bove’s sauce has all these qualities in spades!

~Cathryn