An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Editor's Choice: Hammond's Candies Sweet & Spicy Cheese Dip


I have a confession; that’s not really a confession at all. It’s something that I think you must be completely abnormal if you disagree with. Now, don’t get me wrong. My parents taught me to be kind and open-minded. But, I’m not open-minded when it comes to cheese. I have a deep, thorough love for the product in all its many forms. In fact, if my husband and I are ever in an accident, it’s quite possible the only thing my grieving mourners will find in the refrigerator is a plethora of cheese products. Therefore, it shouldn’t surprise you, that while I was at the International Home & Housewares Show recently — I made every effort to score a variety of cheese products. And, I stumbled upon a gold mine. Without further ado, allow me to introduce you to Hammond’s Candies Sweet & Spicy Cheese Dip!

Hammond’s Candies is known for their tempting taffy and oversized lollipops. However, in recent history, it’s their line of delicious dips that have stolen the show and pulled me into their booth. You’ll likely remember this fascination from a year ago, when I sampled the company’s Pumpkin dip. Well, I’m happy to report that while that dip remains a favorite of mine — the Sweet & Spicy Cheese spread might have surpassed it.  The name of this dip thoroughly explains the ingredients. The dip is a mixture of sweet and spicy sauce and melted cheese. But, what amazes me is how harmoniously the two combine. I found myself scratching my head and wondering why we didn’t think of this sooner! While I originally sampled the dip with pretzels, I could see it used as a condiment on sandwiches. Or, perhaps in my wildest of fantasies, I imagined it as the dipping sauce for tasty chicken fingers. YUM!

Feel free to order the tempting treat yourself. The cost is remarkably reasonable for this small dip of heaven ($6.95 per jar). Just don’t report back to me if you don’t like it. There are some things even the most open-minded of people won’t understand!

~Cathryn