An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Editor’s Choice: Numi



This week I had the pleasure of tasting a savory tea, an experience that was completely unique to me. The Garden Sampler from Numi includes two tea bags each of Tomato Mint, Carrot Curry, Fennel Spice, Broccoli Cilantro, Beet Cabbage and Spinach Chive. I tried the Spinach Chive and the first thing that struck me was the magnificent aroma that came from the cup as the tea bag was steeping in the hot water. The smell was so enticing and it filled the kitchen with a warm, pleasing scent of herbs and spices that were nestled in with the vegetables.

I let the tea bag steep for about 10 minutes as directed. After my first sip I was pleasantly surprised with the full-bodied blend of the decaf tea and the rich flavor that was not quite a soup, but much more than a tea. I was able to fully discern the steamed spinach leaves flavored by hints of lime, dill (one of my favorites), coriander and garlic.

Some suggested uses for this savory blend are as a low-calorie snack to hold you over between meals, to complement a light lunch, as a brew for cooking rice or noodles, or as a companion when at your desk and need a pick-me-up for that afternoon slump. Undoubtedly there are many more uses for this category of tea. Even better, Numi’s Savory Teas have five calories or fewer, are Certified Organic and Verified Non-GMO.

Paula