An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Editor's Pick: Nutiva

Considering bathing suit season is just around the corner (fingers crossed), I figured going to the gym will work in my favor much more if I’ve got the energy to actually stay longer than it takes to get through two songs on my “sweat” playlist.

Eating healthy is where we get our main source of energy, so a few weeks ago I tried Nutiva’s new Organic Superfood line. The Organic Buttery Spread is a vegan spread that acted as a great replacement for the typical Land O’ Lakes butter. Trying it on bread first, it looks, tastes and spreads just the same, my roommates didn’t even realize I had swapped it out. I eventually started using it as a replacement in cooking and I’ve definitely noticed a difference. I’ve also started using the Red Palm Oil to sauté veggies and, most recently, have introduced it to previously olive-oiled pasta. Both are full of antioxidants and it makes me feel a lot better to know I’m including simple ingredients in my dishes.

For dessert (there’s always room for dessert), I tried the O’Coconut snacks. Lightly sweetened coconut flakes in a small bite were easily combined with different ingredients for a personal-sized dip. I tried it with Nutella and spread it on whole wheat toast and it’s become a new favorite with a glass of red wine (full of antioxidents!)


Nutiva is a wildly popular brand of organic coconut, chi, hemp and red palm superfoods that are all organic and non-GMO certified. What’s also admirable about the company, is the donation they make to support sustainable agriculture programs.

-Sam