An online community for gourmet and specialty food retailers.

Welcome to Fancy Food & Culinary Products' blog, your place to read reviews of the great fancy and gourmet products we find in the marketplace.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Editor's Choice: Suan's Scotch Bonnet Pepper Jelly

I don't really like peppers. Not hot things, but the taste of peppers. Green, red, yellow, orange, jalapeno or anything else: not for me. But when we got Suan's Scotch Bonnet Pepper Jelly, I tried to change my tune.

Ms. Suan has studied the ways of the pepper. The way she talks about peppers and their properties reminds me, in a good way, of a guy I went on a blind date with who presented me with a conspiracy theory that hot peppers were sentient beings who were trying to take over the human race by simultaneously releasing endorphins into the system while eating a hole in the stomach with peppery acids. (I only went on one date with him). Suan's theories are less out there, for sure, and she has learned how to harness the mighty power of the pepper for good, not evil. While living in Jamaica she learned how to cook with the Scotch Bonnet Pepper, grown in every kitchen garden on the island and widely used throughout the Caribbean. The Scotch Bonnet is one of the hottest members of the habanera family, so I was skeptical.

I tried the recipe for Suan's Favorite Meatloaf, because if it can make good meatloaf, it can do anything. The recipe:
1 lb. lean ground beef,
¾ cup Old Fashion Rolled Oats,
1 medium onion chopped,
2-3 cloves garlic crushed,
1 egg,
½ cup milk,
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese,
healthy dash of Worcestershire Sauce,
½ teaspoon salt,
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper.

Mix all ingredients well, form into a loaf and place in baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, drain off grease and begin glazing with Scotch Bonnet Pepper Jelly Glaze every 15 minutes until meatloaf is done. Serve remaining sauce on side.

It was marvelous, adding taste and vest without too much heat. I highly recommend pepper jelly and I am looking forward to trying more of the recipes out!

-Elizabeth Dugan